As I often forget to list the meme, I thought I would start with the full list
Day 01 - A show that should never have been canceled
Day 02 - A show that you wish more people were watching
Day 03 - Your favorite new show (aired this TV season)
Day 04 - Your favorite show ever
Day 05 - A show you hate
Day 06 - Favorite episode of your favorite TV show
Day 07 - Least favorite episode of your favorite TV show
Day 08 - A show everyone should watch
Day 09 - Best scene ever
Day 10 - A show you thought you wouldn't like but ended up loving
Day 11 - A show that disappointed you
Day 12 - An episode you've watched more than 5 times
Day 13 - Favorite childhood show
Day 14 - Favorite male character
Day 15 - Favorite female character
Day 16 - Your guilty pleasure show
Day 17 - Favorite mini series
Day 18 - Favorite title sequence
Day 19 - Best TV show cast
Day 20 - Favorite kiss
Day 21 - Favorite ship
Day 22 - Favorite series finale
Day 23 - Most annoying character
Day 24 - Best quote
Day 25 - A show you plan on watching (old or new)
Day 26 - OMG WTF? Season finale
Day 27 - Best pilot episode
Day 28 - First TV show obsession
Day 29 - Current TV show obsession
Day 30 - Saddest character death
And now head into todays answer.
If any of you don't know who I am going to talk about, then you need to relook at my username!!
Day 14 - Favourite Male Character.
So, where do I start?
In some ways I envy him, in some ways I am like him, and in some ways he can be the proverbial pain-in-the-backside ... Yes, who else but ....
As I scribble about Spike, it will be the Spike of BtVS only ... so any Angel relevations have, as yet, passed me by!
He loves -
- We first see him in Season 2 arriving at The Hellmouth to try to find a cure of the love of his un-life. That scene, as I mentioned a few days ago, where he goes from tough-guy, to adoring lover is stunning ... but that is Spike.
- When Buffy threatens Dru in Lie to Me he immediatley calls off his attack of the vampire-wannabies.
- To try to get his cure for his love, he sets The Order of Taraka onto The Slayer.
- Even injred he still arranges to find The Judge, as a present for Dru.
- At the end, he is willing to secure an alliance with the enemy to bring down Angelus, and thus re-gain Dru, and so to leave the area.
- When he returns in Season 3 it is a sad man, who misses his lady, and wants a spell to get their relationship back on track.
- As the years progress, you see his love of the vulnerable ... He is polite to Joyce when he meets her, he cares for Dawn (not just while Buffy is dead) but while the other Scoobies are doing other things, he stands up for Tara and ended up with a headache.
- Then there is Buffy ... Where do I start? Yes, I believe in Spuffy - and I think you see it right back in those early days at the end of Season 2 ... they are willing to work together. In Lover's Walk, Buffy admits then that spike knows her. Yes, he falls in love, and goes about trying to tell his love about it in the wrong way ... but after 100+ years with one girl, any romantic thoughts would be rusty!! (I can empathise with that anyway!!)
- He is willing to be tortured ... for love of Buffy? Or maybe Dawn, or maybe to a lesser degree the rest of the Scoobies.
- As Buffy's body lies at the foot of the tower, he is one broken man, but stands by his promises, and looks after Dawn ... even with all the teenage angst that involves!
- The look on his face when he sees Buffy (like that when he was invited back into her home) is so sweet ... he's a bad boy, but he's in love.
- He tries to support Buffy as she works through her sadness ... always there, and (maybe) if things had gone different in Smashed/Wrecked, maybe they would have made it.
- He is willing to let her beat him up - which does lead to "that" mistake ... but he immediately goes to find an answer.
- When he rturns, he is willing to do all he can for Buffy, in the background, training the SITs ... and then hunting her out and giving her the strenth to go.
- It's his love for his Mum that the First Evil uses as a trigger.
- And, at the end, he stands solid - love of the world and the girl leading to death.
He sadly is also put down by so many people:-
- Dru treats him like one of his dolls when he is in his wheelchair ... and once Angelus arrives, he is relegated to the background.
- Buffy and the Scoobies treat him terribly, reminding him that he is souless .... yet when he returns from Africa, he doesn't get any recognition at all.
- Angelus enjoys showing Spike that he is Dru's first love.
- The torture he received by the Iniative is never fully explored ... nor is any real worry given to the "chip" - just that it stops him feeding - not what happened to him when it was placed. It didn''t stop when he escaped either, as Riley continued his poor treatment - to the extent of using a plastic stake.
- Even his own mother, who he mistakenly thought he was saving, turned against him.
He admits to being evil
- He organised the Order of Taraka, The Judge, many attacks on the Scoobies ... as individuals or a group.
- He knows what "buttons to push" ... even if the final result isn't always what he expects. You especially see this at the end of Season 4, when he works with Adam ... however that is noted, yet the fact that he didn't end up on Adam's side is never mentioned!
- His opening lines include "Who do you kill for fun" ... he loved the fight.
- He had killed 2 slayers - gone out of his way to find them is what he told Buffy ... and quite happy to fight without weapons, as we see in his first fight with her. He likes the thrill of the kill.
It is mostly his character that has kept so much of the fandom of the Buffyworld alive. Even if you only just watch the series, you gain a lot from this one person ... but he has inspired fan writers, artists ... and many an LJ page trying to do his story justice.
Thank you, Spike!
Spike is the character that brought me to BtVS, James, and here to LJ ... so if for no other reason than that I can honestly say he is one special character.